Tuesday, February 23, 2010

When in Doubt, Dance


And so, apartment found, Kate left for Russia and Greg left for work, leaving me to my new full time job of tourist. I gave it a pretty good go in my first few weeks seeing Montmartre, Shakespeare and Co, the Opera House, the d'Orsay, as well as Galleries Layfayette and Les Printemps, amongst other things.

A highlight was on our second weekend, when my Aunt and her beloved came to visit. Linda moved to London a few years ago and was coming with Phillipe to Paris for a Valentine's weekend. It was so lovely to see familiar faces....and to speak English! (I'd been challenging myself to go out daily and complete an everyday task -bank, grocery store, post office- in French). Phillipe took us outside of Paris to Champtigny where a Valentines dinner dance was being held. He explained that these places evolved when poor country people could not afford to go into Paris for weekend entertainment; instead they entertained themselves with their friends, cheap food and drink, rowing and dancing along the river on lazy weekends. Traditionally, music was supplied by an accordion and we were not dissapointed in this regard (although we avoided the rowing due to the -7 C temperature!). The room was decorated with colored lights, the tables with checked clothes; the food was plentiful and the crowd lively. I've never seen such enthusiastic dancing, without regard for who was watching, or how one looked. Everything was enjoyed: the bonhomie emanating from the room warmed the cold night. Linda and Phillipe performed the java, a complicated traditional dance and we just tried to keep up! It was a lovely, warm introduction to French life.

4 comments:

  1. My dearest Meg,
    I'm so glad to see your blog and feel like I'm there with you. An adventure to be sure! You're right in your own element with all those galleries around you. We got your Monet postcard yesterday and it made me cry. You know me! Glad to hear you are so cheerful. Talk soon. Love Suzanne xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you've hit the ground running! Good for you. I hope things have settled down some. We think of you all the time. Wave to Eiffel for me.

    Love Mish

    PS Our BD's are coming up, can you toast with a glass of bubbly for me? Make sure you're looking at the tower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, Meg - you'll be fluent in no time! Look forward to following your adventures in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you up and on here - what a great way to communicate! I'm so happy for you both, what an opportunity. If we didn't have two potlickers to put through school and had a chance to live abroad, I would probably go for it! Oh well, I'll just live vicariously through you! Love to you both.

    Trina

    ReplyDelete