Monday, July 18, 2011

Six Months Ain't for Sissies Either

Oh boy. Here I am again. About to go on a rant about my wee Willy at 6 months.

Last time I ranted he was 6 weeks, and a whole lot has changed since then. He's way cuter for starters, and more fun. I'm not so wet behind the ears, and know him a whole lot better. And months 3, 4 and 5 were awesome (I have a posting about this too, honest....the rants are just easier to write:)

But oh my God 6 months is a challenge!

Start with the food thing: 6 months is the big debut of solids which is so fun and so messy! I was seduced by the retro make your own baby food thing which I still think is a good idea when he is eating more or less what we eat. But at this try everything 3 times and watch for allergies not to mention likes and dislikes stage, making your own food is a huge pain in the ass. Especially when little plastic bits of the blender break off to blend irrevocably with your freshly steamed veggies...or when you get distracted and burn the peas.....twice.....Also on the solids front I am having to do laundry like crazy, and watch what comes out the back end which is so much more, well, pooeyer than it was before. Oh ya and be sure to increase iron intake and pair it with a Vitamin C food etc. etc...I know more about nutrition now than I ever had to before!

And then, my little champ is so very nearly crawling. Boy does that change your day. No longer can you plunk him on playmat A and expect him to stay there. He's on to place B, C, D and the liquor cabinet before you can burn the peas. Babyproofing is my new interior designed 'look'!!

And the wanting to crawl so bad makes him super frustrated so he is always whining to Mummy. My sweet tempered little boy has become a bit of a grouch! Oh, and he falls over a lot so playtime is much more hands on....no time for housework or emails. So this is why you haven't heard from me.

And then there's the expectations, my own and others. As in really? He's still not sleeping through the night? No! He's a hungry boy! Or just really likes my company! But 6 months of sleep deprivation are starting to take their toll and I actually feel tireder now than I did when he was a newborn. So, we're doing some 'sleep training' (I love that term) which I think actually yeilds less sleep in the short term. I hope we get more in the long term. I'd let you know but I won't have time to email you!

Clearly 6 months is a big transition time, probably for both of us. It feels like William is leaving his tiny babyhood behind. I am so proud to see him growing and developing and having the curiosity and confidence to explore his world, but I know those snuggly, bitsy baby days are gone forever. It's bittersweet. For me, I feel like the miky fog of early motherhood has lifted a bit, and I am ready to rejoin the world. I'm really glad I don't have to go back to work yet, but an outing once a month, maybe even dinner, that would be nice. I've managed to raise William so far without too many issues, and he's a lovely baby. It gives me some confidence that I can continue to do so, and even start to meet a few of my own needs at the same time. We're slowly gettin' our groove back.

So here's the big difference between the 6 weeks and 6 months rant: I know it doesn't last forever. The good bits pass, but so do the not so good. The colic and clusterfeeds are a thing of the past, so too will be the cranky, crawling baby. One day he will sleep through the night. One day he will eat peas without spitting them out. One day he'll want the car so he can go eat peas with someone else. So, this is my time. My boy needs me to hug him when he bonks his head, support him as he tried to stand, feed him his mushed up homemade baby pap and change his smelly diapers. But he won't need me forever. With this in mind I temper my frustrations with affection; I have tolerance, both for my son as he grows and for myself as a Mummy. This too shall pass. This too shall pass.

1 comment:

  1. Keep this post for when young Will is middle aged Will taking care of mum when she spits out her food and needs her diaper changed. Just remind him turn about is fair play ;-) Donna

    ReplyDelete