Friday, April 9, 2010

Alice au des Pays Merveilles

A friend and I went to see "Alice au des Pays Merveilles" earlier this week (Alice in Wonderland to us anglophones). Wonderland indeed! Besides very much enjoying the pure escapism of the movie, I also found it an excellent analogy for my life right now:
I've fallen (like Alice, somewhat deliberately) into this new world that is strange and wonderful. I eat things (like croissants) that make me grow big; for most of the movie Alice is tiny, and I too feel diminished and puny in this big city at times. Some things (like new friends and fantastical scenery) are wonderful, and other things (like feeling lost) are not.
The most poignant line of the movie to me was when the Mad Hatter says to Alice "You are not as much yourself as you were before; you have lost some of your muchness". I too, have lost my muchness. I'm the same being, the same 'body that I was at home, but here I am different. Identity is context. Its strange and scary how much of oneself is defined by context, by the place one lives and the people one knows. And while my current context is often delightful it is, like Wonderland, a bit confusing, scary and strange.
I'll go and eat some croissants now, and have a look around for my muchness. I'll let you know what I find!

3 comments:

  1. Your muchness is not lost my dear - it is resting with those who know how much muchness you have. When you are ready for it again we will all give it back to you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you left some of it at your desk. I will bring it with me when I come. Along with a great big dose of your old life.

    Incredible analogy. I am loving your writing.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the muchness and nice comments;)

    ReplyDelete