Tuesday, April 13, 2010

YSL


Today I went to see a Yves Saint Laurent retrospective exhibition at the Petit Palais. YSL was Armenian by birth, but adopted Paris as his home during his early years, remaining loyal to it until his death in 2008. He originally worked for Christian Lacroix, but took the fashion world by storm with his avant garde designs that liberated the female form.


To my surprise, I was impressed and moved by this man. I have never been a haute couture fashionista; lets face it I can't afford it, and as those who know me will attest to the fact that I would much rather spend my money on a painting! Actually YSL himself did not consider fashion an art form-note the small A. He is quoted in the exhibition as saying that fashion is not art, but does require an artist to bring it about. Having now seen his work, I may have to agree....


YSL was a man who was able to transform his inspirations into something wearable. Witness his collections based on foreign cultures: African, Chinese, Spanish and Russian (he himself considered his Russian collection, inspired by the Ballets Russes, to be is best work). The influence of other cultures on clothing design is somewhat blasee today, but he is the originator of this concept: if you will, the original United Benetton. But, more astoundingly, he was also able to witness art- painting, sculpture, verse, whatever-and transform it into a fabric fanstasy. For example, his Mondrian dress mimics that artist's colorful squares; his Monet jacket is a symphony of watercolors, all done in beadwork. As a tribute to poets, he wrote their verses in sparkly, cursive words on the back of a swing coat. I find this transformation of art fascinating. How can someone look at one art form and then dream up a way to apply it to another art form, making it equally beautiful and arresting? Assuming I agree that fashion is art, could I transform the colors and beauty of line of the YSL collections into words? Into song? Isn't that an interesting idea?


I also loved a quote of his (this is an approximate version): "The most beautiful thing a woman can wear is the arms of the man she loves".


Now THAT is haute couture!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was incredible. I have to say I like the last quote. That is my favorite thing to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last quote! *sigh* So nice!!

    ReplyDelete