Friday, April 16, 2010

Why are the French so Slim?

I have been tasked by a source who will remain nameless to find out (and I quote) "How the hell do those French women stay so skinny?!".
In pursuit of the answer to this question, we have heard some interesting theories. One individual -who shall also remain nameless- thinks that Darwinism is at play. His theory runs something like this: all the burly Frenchmen have been sent off to war. You pick the war, there have been lots of them. All the burly French guys are killed, leaving behind their scrawny counterpoints to procreate. It is true that all French people do appear fine boned and petite, so there may be something to this. A theory that is interesting or insane, you decide!
At first, I assumed the national slimness could be put down to diet. It must be all the mineral water, and red wine, and healthy fats. You only have to be here a few days to realize that the French eat ALOT, and mostly what North Americans would consider 'bad stuff'. South Beach diets would die a quick death here in the land of bread; mashed potatoes or fries accompany most meals, and it can be a challenge to get vegetables in a restaurant. And I've waxed eloquent before about the wine: cheap, plantiful and delicious it is the drink of choice with very meal save breakfast, and often in between. And then there are pastries, eaten daily and in quantity. Croissants (with all the lovely butter and white flour) are most people's breakfast of choice.
Then I thought, perhaps it is portions? Again not so. A typical lunch in Paris consists of a mound (and I do mean a mound) of mashed potatoes accompanied by some kind of succulent meat and a sauce. Veggies optional! I've watched fascinated as teensy 95 lb women (you know the kind you hate as they fit effortlessly into their size zero jeans.....you want to tell them 'zero is not a size!!!") tuck into these huge lunches with gusto; there is rarely anything wasted. (I'm told dinners are usually smaller....this I cannot corroborate yet).
So, as far as I can tell, it comes down to lifestyle. Like Greg and I, most Parisians do not own a vehicle. So they take the Metro, necessitating a walk on each end and climbing A LOT of stairs. Anything bought must be lugged home in a similar fashion, which becomes 'weighted walking' according to work out fiends. A friend of mine who moved here a year ago has lost a stone -nearly 14 lbs-from this regime (and reduced snacking). And she didn't need to lose weight. I think I hate her too:)
So, here's hoping that I encounter the same fate.......

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm....I gained 20 pounds within the first 6 months living in Paris and believe me I walked and walked and climbed and walked! I do recall being on dates and the men being shocked that I'd finish me meal, perhaps the secret of the Parisian women was only to have a nibble off their expensive plate? I also know that each and every one of my Parisian colleagues was obsessed with weight and diet and none of them were size zeros to say the least! You are right about the lack of veggies, that baffles me! The evening meal (if they're not eating out at a restaurant at 10pm),I think is often skipped or left to a measly bowl of soup. I went to an all women's gym and there were no thin ones there either. I remember the trainer encouraging me not to eat any dinner post workout...yeah right! I basically lived off salads for 2 years and didn't shed a pound of those 20 pounds until after I moved to England and had a baby. So, looks like it all remains a mystery....we will never know why a great majority of Parisians are so thin! If you want to feel better, venture out to Provence, the women there are not so skinny! None of my relatives are! :)

    ReplyDelete